Pennsylvania Department of Banking and Securities (DoBS) training and outreach staff will host and participate in numerous virtual and in-person presentations for senior groups, service providers and the public throughout the year. August to promote financial capability as part of Governor Tom Wolf’s Consumer Financial Protection Initiative.
Unless stated otherwise, most awareness events in August will continue to be held virtually, in partnership with listed organizations, and open to the public.
Virtual events for the general public
Midweek Money Matters – a webinar series covering a variety of financial topics – will be featured on:
How to: hire an investment professional August 3 from 6:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
August 4 from 12:00 p.m. to 12:30 p.m.
How to: buy stocks August 10 from 6:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
August 11 from 12:00 p.m. to 12:30 p.m.
How to: learn more about investing August 17 from 6:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
August 18 from 12:00 p.m. to 12:30 p.m.
How to: choose an investment fund August 24 from 6:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
August 25 from 12:00 p.m. to 12:30 p.m.
How to: read investment disclosures August 31 from 6:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
Register online for Midweek Money Matters
Fraud Bingo – This presentation – a fun and interactive game that teaches consumers how to protect themselves against investment fraud while playing BINGO – will be available at:
- In person Cleve J. Fredricksen Library (Cumberland County) on August 10 from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. and 24 august from 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. For more information and to participate, contact: [email protected] or [email protected]
- In person Lancaster City Housing Authority at 325 Church Street in Lancaster (Lancaster County) on August 19 from 10:30 am to 11:30 am. For more information, contact: Vasthi Dominguez, Resident Services Coordinator, 717-283-0428 x3041.
Avoid scams and identity theft – This presentation – covering ways to protect yourself from scams, as well as identifying the red flags of a potential scam and the steps you can take to reduce the likelihood of identity theft or if you are one victim – will be presented to the Bosler Memorial Library (Cumberland County) on August 11 from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Cyber security – This presentation – covering using secure websites, strong passwords, safe online shopping, online safety and using social media in the safest possible way – will be offered at the Bosler Memorial Library (Cumberland County) on 25 august from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Virtual events for seniors
Cyber security – This presentation will be offered to:
Littlestown Senior Center (Adams County) on August 2nd from 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. For more information, contact: Karen Smith, Site Manager or Denise Lupp, 717-359-7743; and
The following Butler County Seniors’ Centers. For more information contact: Brittany Gilfillan, Program Supervisor, 724-282-3008:
- Slippery Rock Seniors Center on August 3 from 11h00 to 12h00
- Mt Chestnut Seniors Center on August 9 from 11h00 to 12h00
- Evans City Senior Center on August 10 from 11h00 to 12h00
- South East Senior Center on 12 august from 11h00 to 12h00
- Chicora Seniors Center on August 16 from 11h00 to 12h00
- Cranberry Senior Center on 23 august from 11h00 to 12h00
- Butler Elderly Center on August 31 from 11h00 to 12h00
Fraud Bingo – This presentation will be offered at the Philadelphia Senior Center (Philadelphia County) on 26 august from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. For more information, contact Barbara A. Jackson, Program Coordinator, 267-286-1455.
Virtual events for organizations and service providers
In person Staff will attend the Abington Pre-Night Out event in downtown Abington at 1495 Old York Road in Abington, Montgomery County on August 2nd from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. They will have resources available and information available. For more information visit: https://allevents.in/abington/pre-night-out/200021315344909
Spending Plans – A Roadmap to Success – This presentation – discussing the benefits of establishing a spending plan to achieve financial goals – will be offered to:
- Allegheny Unlimited Care Providers (Cambria County) on August 4 from 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Open to employees.
- Montgomery County SAAC to Ambler (Montgomery County) on August 11 from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Open to members
Staff will present Farmers can retire too: budgeting, planning and saving – a discussion of best practices on the early stages of retirement – in partnership with Penn State Extension on August 19 from 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. For more information and to register, visit: https://extension.psu.edu/farmers-can-retire-too-budgeting-planning-and-saving.
Staff help coordinate the relaunch of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) ‘Your Money, Your Goals’ toolkit with a reintegration-focused supplement. CFPB staff will provide presentations on this resource to corrections and parole staff on August 19 from 9:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. and 25 august from 1:30 p.m. to 3 p.m. Contact Becky MacDicken [email protected] for more information. Open to DOC and parole staff.
Senior $ safe – This program – helping professionals who work with older people learn more about the financial abuse of older people and the steps they can take to report suspected abuse to the most appropriate authority – will be presented:
Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency (PHFA) loan originators on 24 august from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.
Cyber security will be featured at the AmeriCorps Seniors Foster Grandparent program at 1510 Chester Pike, Suite 250 in Eddystone (Delaware County) on 26 august from 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. To register, go to the events calendar on the library website https://www.cumberlandcountylibraries.org/BOS
Legislative exhibitions and conferences
In person Outreach staff will be available at the following legislative exhibitions and conferences:
- Representative Clinton Owlett’s Senior Expo at Wellsboro High School in Wellsboro, Tioga County on 5 August from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Senior Expo Representative Tina Pickett at Lynch Bustin Primary School in Athens (County of Bradford) on 5 August from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Senior Expo Representative Martin Causer at the University of Pittsburgh at Bradford in Bradford (McKean County) on August 6 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Representative Ryan Bizzaro’s senior exhibit at McDowell Intermediate High School Commons Area in Erie, Erie County on August 16 from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Representative Napoleon Nelson’s Senior Expo at the KI Congregation in Elkins Park (Montgomery County) on 26 august from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
DoBS Investor Education and Consumer Outreach staff work with state and local government agencies, service providers, community and business organizations, the General Assembly, the military community, schools, and other partners to assist Pennsylvanians across the Commonwealth to become knowledgeable about the financial market.
Learn more about the free and non-commercial programs and presentations available or contact us to request a program tailored to your specific needs.
Check the department’s events calendar to find an event near you. Consumers and community groups can call 1-800-PA-BANKS or email [email protected] for more information. To learn more about the Consumer Financial Protection Initiative, follow the ministry on Twitter and Facebook.